Wednesday, December 08, 2004

The call........

The phone rang at 3 am. I thought I was dreaming and didn't fully awaken until I heard the answering machine pick up. The caller hung up and immediately dialed back.I saw on the caller ID that it was my parent's house. My dad was calling to say he was taking mom to the hospital because she was in such pain. Their five year old great-grandson lives with them and he asked me to come sit with him.I had just had a conversation with mom around 8 pm yesterday. She was so frustrated with the abdominal pain she had been having. She has been to so many doctors in the last several months. They either tell her everything is fine or send her to someone else. She told me she had made an appointment with her family doctor for Friday and was going to tell her to please just schedule every test she could think of and find out what is causing the pain.I went to their house and fell asleep with the phone by my side.I awoke to dad coming through the door alone. They were admitting mom and scheduling some tests. I was shocked. We were sure they would finally give her something for the pain, tell her what the problem was and how to fix it and send her home

2 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

I wanted to go back to the beginning of your blog to fully appreciate the courage it took for you to initiate it.

I hope whoever reads your eloquent, thought-provoking words appreciates how important they are. I admire your devotion more and more every time I visit.

9:28 PM, September 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

write more......

3:12 PM, January 27, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

(written September of 2005) I have learned much in the last nine months. I have read that ovarian cancer whispers. I say it screams. It just needs someone to listen. The American Cancer Society statistics for ovarian cancer estimate that there will be 22,220 new cases and 16,210 deaths in 2005. This is a death rate FOUR TIMES that of breast cancer.Almost 70 percent of women with the common epithelial ovarian cancer are not diagnosed until the disease is advanced in stage. The 5-year survival rate for these women is only 15 to 20 percent. This is unacceptable. Women need to be made more aware of the symptoms, and doctors need to listen to their patients. Especially when the patient tells them that they fear they have ovca, as my mother did for almost a year before she was finally diagnosed. It’s so sad and senseless when a woman knows the symptoms but can’t get anyone to listen to what she is saying.

©JsDaughter