Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Mend fences.....Build bridges............

All of the exercising and taking care of herself paid off for my mom in a BIG way.
She made it through a very difficult surgery.
Now she will have to fight through chemo.........
The tumor was cancer and had spread throughout her abdomen. They didn't even bother to check lymph nodes.

Her oncologist was so upbeat about it all though- She said they got 95% of the tumor. She said they won't start chemo until after the holidays. She said the cancer may be like a chronic illness that will go away for awhile and then come back. ????????????

What a bizzare way to talk about cancer. Where is it going to come back to? I know it won't be her ovaries because they are gone!

There are so many questions I want to ask now that I didn't think of when the doctor talked to us after the surgery. But deep down I really know most of the answers, and I'm not ready to hear those answers spoken aloud.

I left the hospital yesterday evening. I have not been able to go back, thanks to a major winter storm, that has dumped tons of snow on the Interstate between here and there. I want so much to be there with her. I'm comforted by the fact that my Dad has been at her side the entire time.

So I will continue to pray, and we will take one day at a time.
Time is all we really have anyway- all of us......
So if anyone is out there reading this- kiss your loved ones- tell them you love them every day. If there's someone you used to be close to and aren't anymore- call them.
Mend fences, build bridges.... whatever cliche you want.

Life is short-make the most of it.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

(written September of 2005) I have learned much in the last nine months. I have read that ovarian cancer whispers. I say it screams. It just needs someone to listen. The American Cancer Society statistics for ovarian cancer estimate that there will be 22,220 new cases and 16,210 deaths in 2005. This is a death rate FOUR TIMES that of breast cancer.Almost 70 percent of women with the common epithelial ovarian cancer are not diagnosed until the disease is advanced in stage. The 5-year survival rate for these women is only 15 to 20 percent. This is unacceptable. Women need to be made more aware of the symptoms, and doctors need to listen to their patients. Especially when the patient tells them that they fear they have ovca, as my mother did for almost a year before she was finally diagnosed. It’s so sad and senseless when a woman knows the symptoms but can’t get anyone to listen to what she is saying.

©JsDaughter