Thursday, December 23, 2004

How long does a real tree last?.........

They told us after mom's surgery that they hoped to send her home on Friday. Today is Thursday and she hasn't even been up walking yet. She hasn't eaten yet. I've lost track of how long it's been since she's had anything but liquids... I don't see any way at all they could possibly send her home tomorrow.

Which brings us to the next dilemma. Actually in the scope of things this is just a little glitch. Our family has always celebrated Christmas together on Christmas Eve. Dad called today and said they wanted us to get together and have our Christmas without them.
Ummm.... I don't think so!
It just wouldn't be Christmas without mom and dad. I conferred with my sis and she agreed. I then informed mom and dad that they had been out-voted and Christmas is on hold until mom is home.

Of course Santa will still come to my house.... Sadly this will be the first year that I will not have a child here who believes in Santa. But by golly he will come here anyway because I still believe!!

I was also wondering- how long does a real Christmas tree last? This is the first time that my parents have ever had a real tree. My dad and S went and cut one down. It's beautiful. I've been checking the water in the stand etc... I hope it stays nice until mom gets home because she only got to enjoy it for a few days before she went to the hospital.....

1 Comments:

Blogger B.B. said...

It depends on the variety of tree. NMoble firs tend to last a very long time. Keep it well-watered, and it should go for several weeks. Just keep feeling the needles. The ones at the top will dry out first.

5:01 PM, December 27, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

(written September of 2005) I have learned much in the last nine months. I have read that ovarian cancer whispers. I say it screams. It just needs someone to listen. The American Cancer Society statistics for ovarian cancer estimate that there will be 22,220 new cases and 16,210 deaths in 2005. This is a death rate FOUR TIMES that of breast cancer.Almost 70 percent of women with the common epithelial ovarian cancer are not diagnosed until the disease is advanced in stage. The 5-year survival rate for these women is only 15 to 20 percent. This is unacceptable. Women need to be made more aware of the symptoms, and doctors need to listen to their patients. Especially when the patient tells them that they fear they have ovca, as my mother did for almost a year before she was finally diagnosed. It’s so sad and senseless when a woman knows the symptoms but can’t get anyone to listen to what she is saying.

©JsDaughter