Sunday, October 07, 2007

time to save my own life.....



I've known for several years that some day I would have surgery to reduce my odds of getting breast or ovarian cancer.
It's funny how life plays your hand sometimes...

Earlier this year, a routine mammogram showed several 'questionable' areas and surgical biopsies were recommended. I had four areas from one breast and two from the other removed. Thankfully all were benign.
It was recommended that I follow up every six months- forever.

A couple of months ago I found a lump and my surgeon wanted to do another biopsy.
I said no.
I have opted instead to have bilateral mastecomies. I refuse to keep having surgery on breasts that I want gone.
I'm not willing to gamble with my life any longer.

This week I will join my sister and thousands of other women who have chosen surgery over the possibility of cancer.


There is a lot of information available for people who want to learn more about family cancers and genetic risks.
One wonderful site is
FORCE: Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered.
http://www.facingourrisk.org/

7 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

I'll recommend that site to my daughter-in-law and her sister, since their mother now has breast cancer. I hope your surgery puts your mind at ease.

MIchele sent me.

9:12 PM, October 07, 2007  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I admire your courage in taking on this insidious disease with such strength. I'll pray for a quick recovery, and a future that is free of fear.

Your ongoing work through your blog raises awareness and saves lives. I wish the world had more souls like you.

You're my last Michele-led visit this weekend. I'm so glad I ended the weekend with such inspiration.

9:59 PM, October 07, 2007  
Blogger KinnicChick said...

I'm sending you strength and fast recovery thoughts for your surgery. All my best.

12:40 AM, October 08, 2007  
Blogger Pirate Princess said...

Hope all goes well with the surgery - it will be good not to have those worrys anymore. Thanks for stopping by last week. :)

6:44 PM, October 14, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi, Michele sent me. I hope you are recovering well from your surgery, you have taken a very brave step.

4:33 PM, October 21, 2007  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Back again to let you know I'm thinking of you and hoping things are going well as you recover.

Please know that you're far from alone.

8:26 PM, October 21, 2007  
Blogger BreadBox said...

All of us from Michele's are thinking good thoughts and wishing you well with your surgery....

N.

7:04 PM, October 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

(written September of 2005) I have learned much in the last nine months. I have read that ovarian cancer whispers. I say it screams. It just needs someone to listen. The American Cancer Society statistics for ovarian cancer estimate that there will be 22,220 new cases and 16,210 deaths in 2005. This is a death rate FOUR TIMES that of breast cancer.Almost 70 percent of women with the common epithelial ovarian cancer are not diagnosed until the disease is advanced in stage. The 5-year survival rate for these women is only 15 to 20 percent. This is unacceptable. Women need to be made more aware of the symptoms, and doctors need to listen to their patients. Especially when the patient tells them that they fear they have ovca, as my mother did for almost a year before she was finally diagnosed. It’s so sad and senseless when a woman knows the symptoms but can’t get anyone to listen to what she is saying.

©JsDaughter