Tuesday, May 16, 2006

LIVESTRONG Day

Today has been designated LIVESTRONG Day by the Lance Armstrong Foundation.
http://www.livestrong.org
All across the country, thousands of people will be working to raise awareness of an issue that has affected too many of us- Cancer..

Three out of every four American families will have at least one family member diagnosed with cancer.

I lost my mother just over seven months ago. Some days it seems like yesterday. Other days it seems forever ago. The pain is still very real, as is the anger, and the fear.

Since December of 2004, I have met so many people whose lives have been affected by cancer. Sadly, many have died along the way... Too many.

We have to make changes so our sons and daughters
and grandchildren and great-grandchildren won't have to live in fear.

Talk to your state representative.
Talk to your doctor.
Make a donation.
Run a marathon.
Walk for a cure.
Examine your breasts.
Examine your testicles.
Get a colonoscopy or a mammogram or both.
Remind your parents, your kids, your neighbors.
Wear a teal or pink ribbon or a yellow bracelet.
Light a candle and say a prayer.
Just do something.............
TOGETHER we can make a difference and LIVESTRONG.....................................

7 Comments:

Blogger Grim Reality Girl said...

I am so sorry for your loss and for your first Mother’s Day without your mom. I lost my mom to uterine cancer last year and can relate to what you write on many levels.

Prayers are with you. I echo your message on fighting harder against cancer. My mom went undiagnosed for over a year when she first got her cancer – a 2nd opinion could have spared her life. She trusted her doctor, the doctor missed the many signs.

Maybe our stories will help others. Hugs to you – I’m so very sorry for your loss. I’m glad you decided to keep writing… you are a good writer and your message can save lives.

8:03 AM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Paste said...

Good advice, here from Michele's this morning.

12:55 AM, May 19, 2006  
Blogger MaR said...

Sorry about your loss... I have a scheduled mammography in two weeks. A dear friend just lost her 46-yr old brother because of colon cancer. Thanks for the link and your words. And the visit to my blog via Michele's.

1:05 AM, May 19, 2006  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

what a strong post. i wear my pink "sharing the promise" bracelet daily. my family knows all to well the horrors of cancer.

i am sorry for your loss, but proud that you carry your message of hope to others!

michele sent me

1:20 AM, May 19, 2006  
Blogger craziequeen said...

I have an appointment with a gynaecologist this week to check out some growths on my ovaries....

Too close for comfort.....

But I admire your bravery and know your mum would be proud too.

cq
Michele sent me

12:55 PM, May 20, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad I stopped. I never knew the statistics of ovarian cancer vs. breast cancer. Thank you for giving me the knowledge.

Here from Michele's.

8:07 PM, May 26, 2006  
Blogger carmilevy said...

You continue to amaze me with your strength of spirit.

Your words bring comfort to all who read them.

10:26 PM, September 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

(written September of 2005) I have learned much in the last nine months. I have read that ovarian cancer whispers. I say it screams. It just needs someone to listen. The American Cancer Society statistics for ovarian cancer estimate that there will be 22,220 new cases and 16,210 deaths in 2005. This is a death rate FOUR TIMES that of breast cancer.Almost 70 percent of women with the common epithelial ovarian cancer are not diagnosed until the disease is advanced in stage. The 5-year survival rate for these women is only 15 to 20 percent. This is unacceptable. Women need to be made more aware of the symptoms, and doctors need to listen to their patients. Especially when the patient tells them that they fear they have ovca, as my mother did for almost a year before she was finally diagnosed. It’s so sad and senseless when a woman knows the symptoms but can’t get anyone to listen to what she is saying.

©JsDaughter