Friday, February 25, 2005

Just One...

Time is marching on.
One day at a time......

Mom is feeling well but the chemo is not working so far.
Some of us are handling all of this better than others. Mom seems to be handling it better than most of us. Which is a very good thing.

Her hair has stopped falling out. I know that some people do not lose their hair to chemo but when hers started going I was sure it would all go. Oddly enough MY hair is now falling out more than hers is. I'm sure someone who is fluent in psycho-babble can explain that to me.

I love the people that tell you to suck it up. It's your mother not you that is going through this. Oh how I know that. But this is affecting all of us because we love her. She is a part of me just like my right arm is a part of me... How can it not affect me?

Don't get me wrong- I don't walk around weeping and whining all of the time. I don't bring it up in conversation with my friends or acquaintances. I answer when people ask how she is..

Someone asked how I can write here. It is my therapy. It helps me tremendously to get my feelings out. I don't have any close friends that I can just pick up the phone and talk to all hours of the day and night. It also helps to receive comments from people who have been through this or who just care.

I also believe with all of my heart that it helps when people say a prayer for a woman they've never met.

If that happens only once then I believe that my writing is the right thing to do.....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Writing is the right thing to do. Prayers on their way :-).

1:10 PM, February 25, 2005  
Blogger Flower Power Network said...

You have every right to feel the way you do! When a loved one is sick, the whole family feels it, not just the person carrying the illness! Writing is a wonderful therapy. Keep up the great work! My prayers are with all of you for brighter days ahead:)

2:40 PM, February 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You certainly DID the right thing by writing here. I've always felt that writing it down is THEE best therapy.
And your writing is so emotionally gripping....simple and pure and it's touching my soul very deeply.

8:56 AM, September 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

(written September of 2005) I have learned much in the last nine months. I have read that ovarian cancer whispers. I say it screams. It just needs someone to listen. The American Cancer Society statistics for ovarian cancer estimate that there will be 22,220 new cases and 16,210 deaths in 2005. This is a death rate FOUR TIMES that of breast cancer.Almost 70 percent of women with the common epithelial ovarian cancer are not diagnosed until the disease is advanced in stage. The 5-year survival rate for these women is only 15 to 20 percent. This is unacceptable. Women need to be made more aware of the symptoms, and doctors need to listen to their patients. Especially when the patient tells them that they fear they have ovca, as my mother did for almost a year before she was finally diagnosed. It’s so sad and senseless when a woman knows the symptoms but can’t get anyone to listen to what she is saying.

©JsDaughter