Sunday, April 30, 2006

rose garden.....

A few years ago, my children gave me a rose garden for Mother's Day. They gave me several bushes and did the labor of preparing the garden. My rose garden is my favorite place to be in my yard. Especially in the spring- It is so exciting to see the new green leaves on bushes that are waking up from a deep winter's sleep.

Almost all of my roses are hybrid teas. I have several different colors. I cut many roses and took them to mom last year. She never went very long without a bouquet of fresh flowers. Her favorite flower was yellow roses, because those were what she wore when she married my dad.

Because we have such harsh winters here, I am always careful when protecting my garden in the late fall. Even though I take great care, sometimes I lose a bush, and have to replace it in the spring. Sadly, this year, my yellow bush was the one I lost.

However, one bush continues to amaze me, year after year...

I am living in the house that I grew up in. Mom planted a climbing red rose in the backyard shortly after dad and grandpa built the house. It had been dormant for several years. When we moved in here I gave it lots of TLC and it started blooming again.

Now, 38 years later, it too is covered with tiny new green leaves.
Even without blooms it is beautiful.
I can't help but think of mom each time I look at it, and I can't help but smile......

7 Comments:

Blogger ... Paige said...

I'm with meg, would love to see photographs. I can smell them now.

8:15 PM, May 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dee Dee, I'm sorry that you lost your mom. I lost my dad this past November. In fact, I lost 2 brothers a month apart in 2001 which rocked my world. I wrote a book, started a blog...still have a thread on it...under the side bar catergory "losing a loved one." Come visit sometime. Take care. Michele says hi too. She just lost someone close as well.

8:49 PM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger shpprgrl said...

I agree, definitely take a picture to share. I love tea roses, they are some of my favorites! It is so special when your garden has such cherished memories behind it.

here from michele's!

8:50 PM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Life has an incredible way of defiantly establishing itself in the most amazing places. Just when we think all hope is lost, it proves us wrong.

Your words inspire. May we continue to enjoy your gifts of words for a long time to come.

11:33 AM, May 12, 2006  
Blogger Chrixean said...

You have lovely kids! I love roses as well, but with the weather here, it's really difficult to tend these types of flower.... Happy mother's Day to you!

I'm visiting from Michele's ;-)

10:16 PM, May 12, 2006  
Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

a wonderful post - how precious that climbing rose bush must be - a living link to your special memories
~michele sent me

10:31 PM, May 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this post. Yellow roses are also my favorite and I was so sorry to hear that yours didn't survive the winter.
But what a great story about your mom's rosebush. Enjoy it! I'm sure it's filled with your mom's energy.
And how neat that you now live in the house you grew up in!

9:42 AM, September 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

(written September of 2005) I have learned much in the last nine months. I have read that ovarian cancer whispers. I say it screams. It just needs someone to listen. The American Cancer Society statistics for ovarian cancer estimate that there will be 22,220 new cases and 16,210 deaths in 2005. This is a death rate FOUR TIMES that of breast cancer.Almost 70 percent of women with the common epithelial ovarian cancer are not diagnosed until the disease is advanced in stage. The 5-year survival rate for these women is only 15 to 20 percent. This is unacceptable. Women need to be made more aware of the symptoms, and doctors need to listen to their patients. Especially when the patient tells them that they fear they have ovca, as my mother did for almost a year before she was finally diagnosed. It’s so sad and senseless when a woman knows the symptoms but can’t get anyone to listen to what she is saying.

©JsDaughter